Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Quotable Side of the Game

These quotes come from the Hall of Fame player and manager,  Leo "The Lip" Durocher.  Durocher, being the ultimate competitor, made the line, "Nice guys finish last" famous. These are other quotes of his that demonstrated just how badly he wanted to win at all costs.

"If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom, but nobody beats me.'"

"I never did anything I didn't try to beat you at.  If I pitch pennies I want to beat you.  If I'm spitting at a crack in the sidewalk I want to beat you."

--This is from Durocher's book Nice Guys Finish Last.

1 comment:

  1. And some call that a bad example of sportsmanship. Is a better example the money grubbing , thugish, drug-impelled morons we make into "heros" today? Leo, you were a true treasure!

    ReplyDelete